The “NUMBERS”: FOOD, WATER, ELECTROLYTE FACT SHEET
* HYPER HYDRATION is effective with electrolyte drinks only
• Avoid hyponatremia or water intoxication (a very dangerous condition) by taking in fluids with electrolytes during hyper hydration efforts.
• Consume 16 oz. of fluid before bed the night before training sessions or race.
• Start off day with 16 – 24 oz. of caffeine-free fluids. Caffeine drinks count as half their actual volume. Sports drinks are best.
• While waiting for race to begin, drink 8 – 10 oz. of fluid per hour. Try to start with a fluid-swollen stomach, as the fluid will leave your stomach and enter your bloodstream faster when your stomach is stretched. (Experiment first)
• Salt food liberally 2 days before big efforts in hot weather.
• Consume 4-8 oz. of fluids every 15 minutes in big gulps.
• Sports drinks must contain:
> 30 – 60 grams of carbohydrate per hour (20 oz. bottle) in 6 –10% carbohydrate concentration.
> Add protein. Drinks with 4:1 carbohydrate to protein ratio so as to delay bonk (Example: Accelerade…).
> 100-400 mg sodium, chloride, potassium, and magnesium each per 20 oz. bottle.
• Never allow food and water levels to run low.
*PROVIDE ADEQUATE NUTRIENTS FOR RECOVERY
• After exercise, take in 24 oz. of fluid for every pound of weight lost.
• Begin replenishing immediately by taking in high glycemic/sugary foods within 30 minutes after stopping exercise.
• Add protein in a 4:1 ratio to keep insulin levels high to facilitate recovery. (Example: Endurox…)
• Move from high glycemic (simple sugars) to low glycemic (complex carbohydrates) over the course of 4 hours after exercise.
• Maintain protein intake of 0.5 – 0.9 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day especially during periods of high intensity workouts and heavy weight work.
• Take in 3 –5 grams of carbohydrate per pound of body weight per day on the day before big efforts and day of hard efforts, maybe less on days between hard efforts. Always consume carbohydrates from natural, unrefined sources: fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
Phase IV • 1544 20th St. • Santa Monica, CA 90404 • 310-582-8212 • www.phase-iv.net
Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/PhaseIV